Open An Umbrella
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
Conservation of energy through differet steps.
Potential energy converted to kinetic energy, and vise versa.
Using strings, pullies. We also learnt about falling objects, which is a effect of Gravity.
We also learnt about conservation of mass through Chemical reactions.
Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"LORD, how many are Your works! In wisdom You have made them all" - Psalm 104:24Why we think we should win:
We think we should win because we have worked hard together as a team, to bring this machine to life.
The class made sure that the machine is built from recycled materials - even if we sacrified some of it's beauty. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
- Turning on an air conditioner.
- Cleaning the floor.
- Lift a Logo.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
We are a group of religious girls from tiberias, in the north of Israel.
We have been building our machine for a month now, with the great help of our teachers - Ami, Michal and Ravit.
Our machine's theme is LIGHT AND DARK. The story our machine tells is of a hard working circus that conserves its energy in order to work day and night - spreading happiness and joy.
Our Step List
1. Pushing a button to make a dinosaur robot move.
2. The dinosaur robot causses a domino effect on two books.
3. The books pull a string while falling.
4. The string rotates a bycicle wheel.
5. The bycycle wheel pulls a string.
6. The string rotates a cardboard wheel, with an optical illusion on it.
7. The wheel contains a cup which releasess marbles.
8. The marbels fall.
9. The marbles enter a tunnel.
10. The marbels fall.
11. The marbles follow a track.
12. The marbles cause a domino reaction on 2 books. The books hit a bottle of Acetone.
13. The Acetone melts styrfoam.
14. The styrfoam is melted a the brick falls.
15.The brick pulls a string.
16. The string pulls a broom.
17. The broom pops a balloon.
18. The broom releases a logo of Atidim
19. The balloon releases a string.
20. The string releases a wheel and lets it turn.
21. The wheel has weights on it - and the weights are falling.
22. While the weights fall it pulls a string.
23. The string lifts a bottle of water.
24. The water falls into a pipe.
25. The water fills a cup, with toilet paper in it.
26. The toilet paper rips.
27. The toilet was attached to a car, which is released.
28. The car moves. The car is connected to two strings.
29. One string turns a cylinder.
30. The cylinder causes a weight to fall.
31. The weight hits a switch.
32. The switch turns of the light. From now on the room is in darkness!
33. The second string lifts a balloon. The balloon has baking soda inside.
34. The balloon causes baking soda to fall into vinegar.
35. The baking soda and the vinegar makes a chemical reaction.
36. The balloon inflates from the gas that is released in the chemical reaction.
37. The inflated balloon lifts a cup.
38. The cup releasess a ball.
39. The ball follows a track.
40. The ball falls.
41. The hits a spoon witch is attached as a lever and contains rice on the other end.
42. The rice goes flying. Steps 42-44 happenes 3 times.
43. The ball hits a stick light.
44. The stick light falls.
45. The stick light is connected by a string to another umbrella. The string releasess the umbrella.
46. The umbrella opens.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos