Pour A Bowl of Cereal
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Meghana Venkatesha - invitation signed.
Khushi Parekh - invitation signed.
Honor Plumlee - invitation signed.
Chandini Kanderi - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
How to build a machine out of spare parts using different toolsWhy we think we should win:
We have worked very hard and put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this machine! We have spent more than 10 hours a week working on our Rube Goldberg Machine! We really enjoyed working on this project and hope for more opportunities like this to come in the future!Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Turning on/off a switch in a bedroomFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our machine consists of two wooden boards hinged together with two pegboards on top. Our machine also goes off the board onto the floor and some small tables. It has a lot of intricate and complex steps.
Our Step List
1. The alarm goes off which shakes the clock, hitting the dominoes.
2. Dominos fall (varying in size) and hit the yellow ball, which is attached, by string, to a foam piece containing a marble.
3. The yellow ball falls releasing the marble and hitting wooden pieces which hit a water cup.
4. The water cup falls into a funnel of a bottle with holes and falls on person to wake them up.
5. The marble from Step #3 goes down wooden ramps until it falls in the wooden piece obstacle course.
6. The marble goes down the wooden plank obstacle course and hits a ping pong ball.
7. The ping pong ball falls and hits dominos.
8. The dominos split into two sections; the U(our school logo) dominos and the milk dominos.
9. The U dominos keep falling until it hits the red dominos that form the right side of the U and then knock those over too.
10. The milk dominos fall and hit a wooden piece that is tied to a domino that is next to a wooden piece.
11. The wooden piece falls, causing the domino piece to hit a wooden piece.
12. The wooden piece falls and hits the wooden piece that is holding down the string that is attached to a roll of masking tape.
13. The wooden piece falls, causing the string to be loose which makes the masking tape roll down the ramp.
14. The roll of masking tape hits the milk carton, which has a long funnel coming out of its mouth.
15. The carton falls, pushing fill down the large funnel and into the bowl.
1. The alarm goes off, causing the clock to shake and knock down dominos.
2. The dominos fall and hit a cup which holds a bounce ball.
3. The cup falls, releasing the ball which goes down a few stairs.
4. The ball hits a wooden piece and then goes into a spiral course.
5. The wooden piece hits a ramp that has a marble balancing on the top of it.
6. The ramp moves slightly, causing the marble to fall down the ramp and through a pool noodle.
7. After the marble goes through the pool noodle, it hits a basket that is on a zipline.
8. The basket falls off the deck by marble (or when human is stretching) and goes down the zipline (wire) and hits a wooden piece at the bottom of the zipline.
9. The wooden piece falls by basket (or human stretching) hits another, which then hits a cup full of water.
10. The cup falls, spilling water down a funnel and two water bottles that are connected.
11. The water falls through the funnel and two water bottles, filling a cup that has a ball and a ping pong ball.
12. The ping pong ball falls out of the cup when the water fills it and falls down a ramp.
13. When the ping pong ball falls down the ramp, it hits dominos.
14. The dominos fall and split into two sections; the left U dominos and the cereal dominos.
15. The left U dominos keep falling until they hit the black dominos which form the left side of the U.
16. The cereal dominos fall and hit a wooden piece that is tied to another wooden piece higher up that is holding up the cereal box.
17. The bottom wooden piece falls, knocking down the higher wooden piece.
18. When the wooden piece that supports the cereal falls down, it tips the cereal box over, pouring the cereal out.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos