Turn Off A Light
STEM Forward - WI Regional Machine Contest
Friday, March 06, 2020 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Benek Young - invitation signed.
Brooks DeSpirito - invitation signed.
Jacob Grommon - invitation signed.
Tyler Schey - invitation signed.
Will Ross - invitation signed.
Nicole Potocki - invitation signed.
Jeb Frey - invitation signed.
Evan Uebersetzig - invitation signed.
Jacey Healy - invitation signed.
Haleigh Conners - invitation signed.
Ethan Liu - invitation signed.
Josh Galgon - invitation signed.
Ian Lange - invitation signed.
Dylan Cherf - invitation signed.
Ashlyn Anderson - invitation signed.
Ashwin Debnath - invitation signed.
Ethan Cramer - invitation signed.
Garrett Helwig - invitation signed.
Tyler Homan - invitation signed.
Tyler Homan - invitation sent
Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
That was a happy accident.
That's never happened before.
This year we chose Pixar as our theme. In 27 steps, we represent 10 films in order of release. Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, WALL-E, Brave, Up, Inside Out, and lastly, Toy Story to shut off two lights.
Our Step List
1) Boo's door (Second Class Lever) is pulled open pulling on and releasing a string, causing the mini door to move down the metal rod (Inclined Plane). The door also activates a switch that starts the soundtrack.
2) The mini door knocks over a cup of water mounted on a hinge (Second Class Lever), filling the scream canister. [Note: this is a delay step]
3) Once the scream canister fills, the weight of the canister weighs down on a Class One Lever, releasing the Nemo goggles.
4) The weight of the Nemo goggles falling then pulls a string attached to the boat in the fish tank.
5) When the boat moves across the fish tank, the connection between the magnet mounted on the back of the boat and the seagull breaks, releasing the seagull to glide down a string (Inclined Plane).
6) The seagull flies into the wood rod propping up the Omnidroid and knocks it out.
7) The Omnidroid then spins around a pole, building up momentum before crashing into Mr. Incredible’s wall, mounted on a hinge (Second Class Lever) and knocking it over. [Note: this is a delay step]
8) The wall falling pulls out the support, spinning the super suit closet on an axis (Wheel and Axle).
9) A dowel attached to the spinning closet then releases two cars down a hot wheels track (Inclined Plane). Lightning McQueen wins!
10) Lightning McQueen will hit a ruler mounted on an axle (Wheel and Axle) causing it to rotate.
11) The other end of the ruler knocks a weight off of a Lincoln Logs container. The weight falling raises the race flag (Class One Lever).
12) The weight simultaneously pulls a Gusteau’s cup off of the book shelf, triggering the pulley and clinking the dinner bell.
13) The other side of the pulley will raise a chef’s hat revealing Ratatouille and triggering EVE to travel down the ramp (Inclined Plane and Class One Lever).
14) At the end of the ramp, EVE will make contact with the switch on the back of WALL-E. EVE hitting the switch on WALL-E, and the controller starts the motor.
15) WALL-E travels up a ramp (Inclined Plane) and knocks a garbage box off. [Note: this is a delay step]
16) The box falls onto a button, and the button starts the motor to the vex winch (Wheel and Axle). The vex winch then raises the Up house. [Note: this is a delay step]
17) The vex winch and Up house are connected by a balloon. The balloon being raised closes the circuit by touching two pieces of tinfoil, causing the gear trigger (Wheel and Axle) to spin on Merida’s crossbow, releasing the dart.
18) The dart (Wedge) hits the balloon, causing it to pop causing the house to fall onto a lever.
19) The lever pulls the Lego box off the trebuchet (Class One Lever), launching the memory orbs into the funnel.
20) The memory orbs travel through a marble track, hitting Riley’s hockey stick mounted on a gear (Wheel and Axle).
21) Riley’s hockey stick knocks over the emotion character dominoes (Lever).
22) The dominoes hit Andy’s baseball, knocking it down a ramp (Inclined Plane).
23) On its way down, the baseball rolls into a slinky snake, causing our slender slimy slinky snake to slither down the slope.
24) The snake falls into the boot, pulling a dowel out from under a hinged platform (Lever), releasing Buzz Lightyear.
25) Buzz flies down his zipline (Inclined Plane), pulling a string that spins the lamp (Wheel and Axle) around on its platform.
26) The lamp hits the “I” and causes it to fall off of the Pixar platform.
27) The “I” hits the dowel, pressing the switch (Second Class Lever) on a power strip and turns off all the lights.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Verbal Presentation. This is your team’s chance to shine and be creative! We want to hear the story your machine tells, and understand how the steps represent the theme and key elements of your narrative. The Machine Introduction should not be a step-by-step explanation of how the steps work. This is where your personality, humor, and team spirit engages the audience and gets them excited to see your machine.
Our Machine Run Videos