Erase A Chalkboard
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
Kinetic Energy, Electricity, Magnetism and other fun science stuff!Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"That was easy!"Why we think we should win:
The team worked really, really hard on this machine. We were challenged with many obstacles and pushed through. Patience and perseverance were great lessons that the team learned. We had two perfect back to back runs.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Set a timer, Crush ice and put it in a drink, Slice an apple
Thank you for taking the time to visit our page. We hope that you find our machine inventive and creative. We would appreciate your support with your vote!
Our Step List
1. Banana “phone” is answered and let go – this lifts strawberry on other end of line.
2. Strawberry lifts up on small inclined plane sending orange in motion.
3. Orange rolls and falls onto spoon lever lifting the other end.
4. First spoon lifts second spoon lever which causes a golf ball to fall off of it.
5. Golf ball falls into basket which is attached to an order clip board.
6. Clip board falls and pulls down further on basket causing clock to rotate.
7. Rotating clock pulls on wire which tilts picture frame.
8. Resting golf ball rolls off picture frame, into egg carton and hits spatula.
9. Spatula moves dropping the picture frame it was supporting.
10. Picture frame swings and pushes tray with resting steel ball.
11. Tray and ball go into motion down rolls down a ramp to a stopper.
12. At stopper, steel ball falls out of hole in tray onto a rag draped over rods on wall.
13. Steel ball causes tension in rag and launches a resting golf ball off of the rag and into a funnel.
14. Golf ball rolls through funnel and triggers a mouse trap
15. Mouse trap flips painted ketchup bottle (no real food inside)
16. Ketchup bottle falls over onto clip
17. Clip releases string holding a lemon
18. Lemon and string fall away and release a tennis ball out of tube
19. Tennis ball rolls out of tube down cups and onto ramp and into jumbo steel ball
20. Ball falls on and then off blender switch in tray spinning blender rod
21. String winds around blender rod and pulls on tray
22. Tray will pull away from under hamburger
23. Hamburger will fall pulling on string which goes through two pulleys and is attached at the other end to a wooden hot dog
24. Hot dog is pulled up under a wooden hot dog bun and lifts bun with marble
25. Marble will roll off of bun and land in a box on handle of ice-cream scoop
26. Ice-cream scoop releases ice cream which travels down ramp
27. Ice cream lands in carton and the carton travels down a zip line
28. Carton triggers mouse trap
29. Mouse trap will pull cork out of bottle with water inside it
30. Water will run into funnel, down the tube and into the pitcher
31. Weight of water in pitcher pushess down handle on garbage can and opens the can
32. The grapes on top of the trash can will fall off pulling wire from in front of tennis ball
33. The tennis ball will roll down tube, bounce on two chairs and ricochet off a pan into a the really big salad bowl and knock into an ice cream cone with a cherry on it.
34. The ice cream cone will fall over and the cherry will roll off, pulling on a cord attached to a meatball.
35. The meatball will fall from it’s perch and pull “spaghetti” out of colander and flip colander over
36. Colander will push down on a lever and release steel ball from erasing system
37. First steel ball will travel down a ramp and into a chute, pushing down on the take out box on lever – this will repeat three times and erase the chalk board above by pulling cord back and forth with each push.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos